Building dhcp.leases -- Migrating to ISC DHCP

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 16:24:47 UTC 2006

Kelvin Williams wrote:
>We need to migrate to ISC's DHCP; we'd like to do this without throwing the
>network into chaos (duplicate IPs, etc.).  Is it possible to take the
>current leases from our dhcp server and create our own dhcp.leases that the
>server will recognize and utilize?

Yes, the format is documented (man dhcpd.leases). I would suggest a
test installation and experiment to make sure you have a valid format.

You should not need to create the whole valid lease if the
information isn't directly available, just a bare skeleton should do
and the server will fill in the details as the clients renew.

Simon