dhclient-script NFS errors with busybox ifconfig

John Faith jfaith at freescale.com
Mon Apr 10 22:42:23 UTC 2006

Hello!

I am trying to use dhcp-3.0.3b1 on an embedded Linux board (kernel
2.4.20) with a NFS root filesystem.  The 'ifconfig' on this system is
from busybox 1.01.

When I run 'dhclient' as root, I get NFS errors and my filesystem goes
away.  I've tracked it down to line 94 in dhclient-script (which is the
same in dhcp-3.0.4b3.tar.gz):

     ifconfig $interface 0 up

I can run 'ifconfig eth0 0 up' by hand, and it completes without
printing an error, but subsequent commands fail due to the NFS
filesystem going away.

Has anyone else run into this with busybox ifconfig, or know if this is
a dhclient-script bug or a busybox bug?

Thanks!
John