Switch from pure DHCP to Static/DHCP

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Apr 8 23:57:49 UTC 2006

>Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:46:53 -0500
>From: "Erick Perez" <eaperezh at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Switch from pure DHCP to Static/DHCP
>
>Hi,
>I have a 230 person office that is using DHCP. I want to move them to
>fixed ip address but it will take me way too much time to do it alone.
>I was thinking to use the MAC addresses and make the clients always
>get the same IP.
>
>My boss also wants the IP categotized. 192.168.100.20-30 for some
>group 31-40 for another, etc.
>
>Is there any script or tool that i can use to construct dhcpd.conf in
>an easy way without needing to input manually all the MAC addresses?
>
>I have webmin in the server and webmin let you output the mac/ip/name
>assigantion at that time.
>
>thanks

Hi Erick,

One thing for sure, keep using DHCP to hand out the fixed IP addresses.
Don't go back to the concept of manually setting evey PC to have a
static IP address! THat will become much to difficult to handle.

For the dhcpd.conf you'll need to create something that looks like:

 host host1 { hardware aa.bb.cc.dd.ee.01; fixed-address 192.168.0.21; }
 host host2 { hardware aa.bb.cc.dd.ee.02; fixed-address 192.168.0.22; }

so you could write a script that parses the current leases file, or
some other method, maybe webmin, that can produce a list, save that to
a file, then a bit of global search and replace with vi might just do
it.

regards,
-glenn