Dhcpd.conf - Options Precedence

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 11:26:14 UTC 2006

Niall O'Reilly wrote:

># Shared network (there are many shared networks)
>      shared-network bf-coa-arts {
>          subnet 192.168.163.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>              option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>              option routers 192.168.163.1;
># Fixed hosts -- inherit from subnet, shared-network, global
># These use reserved addresses, not covered by any pool
>              host ws-bmc-0l02 {
>                  hardware ethernet 00:20:a6:55:eb:80;
>                  fixed-address 192.168.163.17;
>              }

I have to point out here that host statements are global in scope* -
since this seems to be a very common issue, isn't it perhaps time
that this was trapped and warned about during config file parsing ?

The hosts concerned will inherit the subnet options, but not because
the host declaration is within the subnet declaration, but because
the IP address is within the subnet.

* Actually, looking in The DHCP Handbook, it says that host
declarations are a scope of their own - but the effect is the same.