DDNS Questions

John Simon darkavenger2000 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 04:43:10 UTC 2006

I have a box running FC4 as my router for my home network. I recently set up
DDNS updates in named.conf and dhcpd.conf (and set up the appropriate zone
files, etc.). Everything works fine -- I am able to resolve hostnames for
all my internal machines.

I have two questions that are DDNS related, and I realize that this is a
DHCP list, but I thought I might get some help here:

1. Right now I just picked "example.com" as my internal domain to use in the
conf files and for the zone files. So all my internal machines are
<hostname>.example.com. Is it possible to set up DDNS updates WITHOUT using
a domain name (for someone in my situation who doesn't really have a real
domain name to map my machines on to.

2. All the internal machines work perfectly with DDNS. However, I haven't
been able to figure out how to also get my router to add its hostname to the
DNS -- since I would like to be able to use its hostname (instead of
192.168.1.1, etc.) when I am ssh-ing into it from an internal machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!