fixed rrset ordering - is this still a thing?

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 1 22:36:34 UTC 2024

Please don't encourage using "search" in resolv.conf or the Windows
equivalent. Search domains make queries take longer, impose unnecessary
load on resolvers and make diagnosis of issues harder because, when users
say "it doesn't work" you have no idea what it was that didn't work.

I tried using separate subdomains for different interfaces on devices once
and ran into exactly that problem. There's also the overhead of maintaining
more zones than you really need.

My suggestion would be to replace the dot with a hyphen. That is, instead
of:
firewall1.example.com = Internet IP address
firewall1.dmz.example.com = IP address on DMZ network
firewall1.management.example.com = IP address on out-of-band management
network

do:

firewall1-internet.example.com = Internet IP address
firewall1-dmz.example.com = IP address on DMZ network
firewall1-management.example.com = IP address on out-of-band management
network

You could even CNAME firewall1 to firewall1-management as this is
(presumably) the interface that users and monitoring/management tools will
want to reach by default.

The hostname of the box is "firewall1" but each interface on it has a
unique name, derived from the hostname plus a "-<something>" suffix. Select
a set of well known and used suffixes for your environment.
If someone really wants to try and SSH to the Internet interface (though I
don't understand why you would), they know the hostname and they know the
suffix, so it's a simple matter of combining them.