fixed rrset ordering - is this still a thing?

Mike Mitchell Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
Fri Mar 1 14:42:37 UTC 2024

Our networking team is in the habit of entering the IP address of every network interface on a router under one name.  The very first address entry is their out-of-band management interface.  "rrset-order fixed" is used on their domain for address records, so they can ssh to the router by name reliably and not have to worry about interfaces that are down or that filter SSH.
We also have cases where redundancy is being configured but is not yet complete.  In that case only the first IP is active.  If we don't use "rrset-order fixed" we get complaints that connections take too long and there must be a network error.

Mike Mitchell