Stop leaking queries for RFC 1918 zones

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Sep 22 20:11:27 UTC 2023

The option is enabled by default however if you forward all queries then the automatic zones won’t be created and the forwarder is responsible for filtering. This is done like this because lots of people use forwarding to get to the internal servers that serve these zones.

Just create empty zones in named.conf. If the automatic creation doesn’t work with the rest of your configuration.

The log messages are there to tell you that queries are still leaking.

Given your other questions about 10.in-addr.arpa I would really set it up and delegate based on which address blocks are assigned to whom.  Allow the zone to be transferred to any 10.0.0.0/8 address by default. Add in other server address or TSIG keys as different departments request access to it.  Start with an empty zone and delegations for the addresses you are using yourself and build up from there.  Turn off forwarding in this zone’s configuration by using an empty forwarders clause ( forwarders { /* empty */ }; ).

I know you said this was a lost cause but it doesn’t have to be 100% perfect. It can be built up over time.

--
Mark Andrews