Change in zone file formatting after enabling allow-update (lot´s of $ORIGIN)

Jan-Piet Mens list at mens.de
Fri Sep 22 19:43:25 UTC 2023

>After the first automated
>name change, my zone file was unformatted. I lost the comments and more
>than 500 occurrences of the ORIGIN parameter were inserted.

Configuring dynamic DNS updates on a zone means that named takes control over
how the zone file is (periodically) rewritten to disk. There is no way to
inhibit this. Note also, that the zone file must not be edited by hand without
prior `rndc freeze' and subsequent `rndc thaw', and note that freezing a zone
forbids updates.

As a side note I'd like to recommend using the much more granular `update
policy' on the zone.

	-JP