consolidating in-addr.arpa data

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Sep 18 16:02:24 UTC 2023

Yep.

I understand the IP space can be delegated, and some of it allocated for
use by systems registering in MS DNS. But this isn't going to happen.
There are multiple MS Active Directories, with registered machines
scattered willy-nilly across the 10-dot address-space, sometimes several
competing in the same subnets. The "design and delegate" ship sailed
years ago. I don't have a prayer of correctly fixing the underlying problem.

After thinking harder, I don't even need correct records in all of the
publishers of the various 10.in-addr.arpa zones. My goal now is simpler.
Get the PTR-records from the zones handled by ISC BIND into (and out of)
one particular MS DNS system. I don't need to get the PTRs registered in
MS DNS back into the BIND data.

I think I can get where I need to be by leveraging /nsdiff/

No. We won't be correctly publishing accurate PTRs from all of the
possible DNS services in the environment. But this is achievable, and
will address the problem (of our own making) which is causing pain.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska