Is this KB example backwards? Re: Multiple master servers for the same zones

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Thu Sep 7 18:31:20 UTC 2023

Re-reading the KB article referenced below...

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023, Leroy Tennison via bind-users wrote:

> [...]  I'm assuming i can use
> https://kb.isc.org/docs/managing-manual-multi-master to "demote" one of
> them but is there anything to look for concerning possible
> inconsistencies and how do I check for those issues?

Second paragraph:

   In BIND 9, it is relatively simple to switch a server from secondary to
   primary in real time: if you store the data in a file, simply redefine
   the zone type and change type master; to type slave;.

That seems to me to be saying secondary == master and primary == slave.

There seems to be a mixing of metaphors here. I don't think combining the
traditional and newspeak terminology contributes to clarity. In any case
I'd rewrite this as:

   In BIND 9, it is relatively simple to switch a server from primary to
   secondary in real time: if you store the data in a file, simply redefine
   the zone type and change type primary; to type secondary;.

--

Fred Morris