Can we enable serve-stale parameter in bind

Prasanna Mathivanan (pmathiva) pmathiva at cisco.com
Mon Nov 6 20:23:00 UTC 2023

Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for responding.

Issue is not in our NS.

if owner of a different domain NS is not reachable to tackle that kind of situation only.

Say my domain Is example.com and I have set of NS to handle it and am trying to reach simple.com and its NS is not reachable hence the query are failing. If I enable serve-stale and am able to get the record for some moment of time record would be cached in stale entry. And next time when it happens it can serve from stale entry instead of giving SERVFAIL response.

Just wanted to confirm if it’s safe to enable this or do we have any negative impact by enabling this.
Just a general query.

--
Regards,
Prasanna