Is it possible to move a zone between catalogs on the same secondary? It is.

Aram Sargsyan aram at isc.org
Tue May 2 14:49:11 UTC 2023

> Wondering out loud:
> Maybe it should skip loading that particular member zone if the "coo"
> proproperty already points to different catalog? Would that be more
> resilient against race conditions when named is restarted?

That's an interesting suggestion, and I agree that it can solve the race between the two catalog zones in that particular case, but I think it should be acceptable for the operator that a member zone, which is in transition from catz1 to catz2, can be served by either of the catalog zones until the transition is over, and the entry with its "coo" property is removed from catz1. Skipping to load a member zone based only by the existence of a "coo" property can potentially leave the zone unloaded if it is still not added in the successor catalog zone. I.e. the "coo" property can be added into the old catalog zone in preparation, for example, hours before the member zone is added into the new catalog zone.

Aram