dnstab-read with detailed information

Peter pmc at citylink.dinoex.sub.org
Wed Mar 15 22:37:56 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 09:34:40PM +0000, MAYER Hans wrote:
!
!
! Dear All,
!
! dnstab is a great feature to analyse the details what’s going on. But I think there is room for improvement.
!
! I write the data to a file and once a day I do a log rotate.
! With "dnstab-read FILE | grep IP“ I get basic information about an IP which I am looking for.
! Now getting full information required options -p and -y
! In this case „grep“ing isn’t so easy. Options -A can help.
! What I do is, I redirect output to a file and open it with „vi“.
! You can imagine, that this file can become large.
!
! Are there any other (better) possibilities ?

Yes. Parse the YAML, feed it into a database. Or, use the dnstap
libaries and parse that stuff directly, should be faster, but needs
C coding.

Database finds query and answer and pairs them back together.

From there on everything is possible. You could do data mining
for intrusion detection, i.e. search for anomalies, or whatever.