Something other than port 53 is blocking the LAN based BIND9 Servers

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Mar 9 11:10:05 UTC 2023

Mike Lieberman <mike at netwright.net> wrote:
    > The newer router blocks my local BIND servers (ONLY not clients using
    > downstream servers) from receiving anything from the Internet. OUR BIND
    > servers still have the local networks, but nothing else.

Your explanation is rather obtuse, but I think you mean that your BIND
servers can not do recursive lookups.  Rather than receive/answer
authoritative queries.

Do your queries originate from port-53?  That is not the default anymore, AFAIK.

    > The question I need resolved by the proper group/forum is: What port or
    > technology is doing the blocking? The ISP has no idea.

No, the ISP probably has no idea.  Might even be their FTTH ONT system.

    > I have tried three of the new routers but all blocked my servers. I
    > tried a replacement EoL router and that works. Without changing
    > anything on the network, other than the physical router, it was like
    > flipping a switch.

I assume it's a GPON, and therefore you can't easily tcpdump on the outside
like you can with a plan PPPoE with VDSL.