Tools for parsing a dumped cache

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Mar 3 18:40:25 UTC 2023

The first thing I do when I'm trying to diagnose strange behavior of a
resolver, is I dump the cache to a file. Later, I end up trolling
through it with less and grep, looking for entries (usually incorrect
RRSIG or DS records) which will explain the behavior I saw.

I have two questions:

Is there a spiffy cache-file-parsing tool out there, which will make
this work easier? I'm thinking of something like what Wireshark does for
packet-capture files. "Here is an A-record. Here is its RRSIG. Here is a
error, because we don't have a DS over here."

Is there a way to launch an instance of named, convincing it to "freeze
in time"? i.e. "Please start, consume this cache file. Consult only your
cache, perform no external queries, and do not expire anything." This
would let me reproduce the failure-state and dig and delv at my leisure.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska