Gratuitous AXFRs of RPZ after 9.18.11

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Jan 31 19:41:38 UTC 2023

I was never able to uncover the underlying problem with that update.

The only clue I had was the service remained in "activating" state,
rather than "running". named was listening as expected, was transfering
zone data, was caching and serving the correct data, but didn't seem to
recognize it had the same data when it next retrieved the SOA record.

I eventually restored the secondary host from backup, and performed the
upgrade from 9.18.10 --> 9.18.11 again. It behaves exactly as expected;
retrieving the SOA record, recognizing it already has that serial
number, and waiting patiently for the refresh interval to expire before
checking again.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration