Gratuitous AXFRs of RPZ after 9.18.11

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:45:26 UTC 2023

Hi John.
Personally, I would start by drawing a picture (I like pictures) of all the
players in the game and gathering data, leaving nothing out, including:

   - All servers, with all IP addresses.
   - SOA and NS records of working zones and the troublesome RPZ zone.
   - Which servers are authoritative for each of the NS records, what
   addresses they resolve to and how the secondaries do that resolving.
   - Does the primary treat *this* secondary any differently? e.g. is it
   listed in an "also-notify" clause perhaps?
   - full configs (named-checkconf, as you have already done. But if it's
   only you looking at them, drop the "x")
   - pcaps on a working and the troublesome box (and on the primary) and a
   lot of time in Wireshark. There *must* be *something* different going on.
   *If* it turns out that 9.18.11 is behaving incorrectly, ISC will want to
   know.

HTH, Greg