Deprecation notice for BIND 9.18: Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) support

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Thu Jan 5 08:02:30 UTC 2023

Hi,

in line with our deprecation policy, I am notifying the mailing list about our intent
to deprecated the Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) support in BIND 9.

The DSCP support in BIND 9 has been already non-operational since BIND 9.16
as the support for setting the DSCP socket option was not implemented in the new
networking code for the listening sockets, and since BIND 9.18 when the outgoing
DNS code started using the new networking code. So far, nobody has noticed.

There's an alternative plan that would include re-implementing the functionality,
but there would have to be strong user case behind the work. But again, judging
from the fact that nobody has noticed, there doesn't seem to be strong user base
behind DSCP.

The deprecation will include:

* specifying the **dscp** option in following statements:
  - `also-notify`
  - `catalog-zones`
  - `dual-stack-servers`
  - `forwarders`
  - `listen-on`
  - `listen-on-v6`
  - `notify-source`
  - `notify-source-v6`
  - `parental-source`
  - `parental-source-v6`
  - `query-source`
  - `query-source-v6`
  - `transfer-source`
  - `transfer-source-v6`
  - `parental-agents`
  - `primaries`
  - `
* following statements as whole:
  - `dscp`

We plan to mark the options as deprecated in BIND 9.16 and 9.18 and remove it
in BIND 9.20 because it's already non-operational.

Cheers,
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)
ondrej at isc.org

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.