Email migration and MX records

E R fasteddieinaustin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:18:28 UTC 2023

Bruce, I would push back and ask for more information from whomever is
leading you down that path as it does not sound right to me although others
more familiar with DNS magic might have better suggestions to DNS changes.
But if Barracuda is just a front-end for email that does antivirus/spam
filtering I would expect you could update Barracuda to send email to your
new M365 tenant when it is ready without any DNS change to your MX record.
Once that change was made you could then update MX records to bypass the
Barracuda service altogether.  Keep in mind that you may specify a short
TTL, but you may see emails for DAYS after the change from my experience
when we changed our MX servers years ago.

If you received information that you could not use a third party device in
front of M365, you received incorrect information.  You can definitely use
another service in front of M365 although the additional cost might not
pencil out.  We let the third party store dangerous/nasty emails in their
quarantine and forward SPAM/Bulk over to M365 Junk Email folders so
employees have one space to look for those things.