Problems with openssl pkgconfig in bind 9.18.21 (but probably all 9.18) {External}

William D. Colburn wcolburn at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 22 17:17:07 UTC 2023

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 05:43:09PM +0100, Ond??ej Surý wrote:
>No, you missed my point - I asked why do you pretend to run stuff on RHEL 6 while in fact you do not because all the critical libraries are self-compiled.
>
>You can run BIND 9 in a container (on RHEL 6) using a still-maintained distribution, where you don???t have to self-watch the required upgrades for all the dependencies (libuv, OpenSSL, and others???)

There is a lot of momentum in our organization.  Take timekeeping.
There is local time, UTC, TAI, GPS time, Julian time, modified Julian
time, nutation sidereal time, mean sideral time, Greenwich sideral time,
modified local sidereal time, and probably more I can't remember.  We
have to keep track of contintal drift because of General Relativity with
regards to timekeeping, and our most demanding applications require
femtosecond accuracies in the clocks (which isn't possible with today's
technology).  Not only do we use all of those timekeeping standards in
different places, but we also invented our own timekeeping standard back
in the 1970s that we still use and is one of our main ways of keeping
track of things.

Some groups here here don't trust DHCP.  They started out soldering and
wirewraping IP addresses into boards that are inaccessible in the bowels
of the machines, but have progressed to selectable IP addresses
controlled by dip switches inside brass boxes that have up to 206 screws
holding them closed.

The modern data stream uses ethernet, but I'm told not ethernet
collisions.  It was deemed better to time every packet from every device
so that no collisions ever happen in the ethernet network.

But containers are something we plan to try soon!  This coming calendar
year actually.  Using one for RHEL6.5 to support Xilinx is high on my
list.

--Schlake
  Sysadmin IV, NRAO
  Work: 575-835-7281 (BACK IN THE OFFICE!)
  Cell: 575-517-5668 (out of work hours)