DNSSec mess with SHA1

Scott Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 14:09:30 UTC 2023

On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 7:40 AM Petr Špaček <pspacek at isc.org> wrote:

> We do runtime detection at startup because it's configurable, build time
> would not work properly.

Okay, that makes sense. However, if I understood the scenario correctly, it
seems like that configuration should then generate a runtime error or at
least report that DNSSEC validation has been disabled. The description
involved removing support for SHA1 entirely from the underlying system
configuration. If that's the case then I don't see how DNSSEC validation
can be reliably performed at all. It's not like introducing a new DNSSEC
algorithm or removing support for an older DNSSEC algorithm. SHA1 is used
to generate the hash label in NSEC3. I know that's been discussed on
dnsops, but it hasn't changed. And from algorithm 8 on, there haven't been
separate algorithms with and without NSEC3. Rather it's an option that can
be configured for signing on a zone by zone basis. So if SHA1 isn't
available, I don't see how any of the DNSSEC algorithms could truly be
considered supported on the system.

That's making me curious enough that I might see if I can set up a system
where I could reproduce that scenario and see what happens. Unless it's
already part of your test suite and you know the answer, of course.

Scott