Deprecation notice for BIND 9: "resolver-nonbackoff-tries", "resolver-retry-interval"

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Sat Dec 9 01:45:05 UTC 2023

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 04:05:03PM -0800, Fred Morris wrote:
> They don't seem well documented.

Indeed they are not!

> I say go ahead, if nothing else consider it a "scream test". But can you
> take a moment and tell us which stakeholder group(s) you think you're
> optimizing for, why, and how?

In this case, merely optimizing for the number of things we on the BIND
development team need to test and maintain.  I really don't think anyone's
using these knobs, so they might as well not be there.

They were added during the development process for serve-stale, which came
to us originally as a third-party contributed patch.  I suspect they were
used by the contributors for testing, but nobody on our team ever did,
or gathered any of the data that would be needed to properly document
them.  So they really should have been stripped out of the patch before
it was merged.

You do raise a good point - there may be reasons for different sites to
want to teak these settings.  Iif so, though, they we should probably
add the tuning to named judiciously, after a proper research and
data-gathering process, instead just accidentally leaving it there. :)

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.