Primary zone not fully maintained by BIND

Sandro lists at penguinpee.nl
Tue May 24 22:20:15 UTC 2022

On 24-05-2022 20:57, Jan-Piet Mens via bind-users wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, but I believe ISC reccomend using a custom policy
> instead of `default' in case the default changes in future.

Yes, sort of. The documentation hints at the fact that the default
policy is subject to change. I meanwhile grabbed the
dnssec-policy.default file from GitLab and using that as a locally
defined policy.

> That surprises me a bit; I've always maintained BIND will not
> validate a DNSSEC-signed zone it is authoritative for. Unless you
> mean RRSIGs were still valid.

My terminology might not have been accurate. It is/were the RRSIGS that
were outdated for all but the SOA record. I used the command provided in
the documentation:

delv @10.0.0.242 -a Kpenguinpee.nl.+013+56132.key \
+root=penguinpee.nl penguinpee.nl. SOA +multiline

The key file here is the DNSKEY converted into a trust-anchor as per
BIND ARM [1]. Checking any other record with delv returned 'RRSIG has
expired'.

> BIND should be signing the zone(s) with dnssec-policy, yes, and the
> dynamically-updateable zone will be signed on  update and SOA serial
> increased automatically.
>
> I wonder whether it's getting confused (can software get confused? I
> suppose so) with the two identically-named zones. If this were my
> installation and I had to use views, I'd try specifying distinct
> policies for the zones to see if that makes a difference.

That thought, regarding the same zone in different views, had occurred
to me. However, having to specify different policies for different views
would be at best a workaround. I'd rather find out what it is that
confuses BIND and file a bug for it.

Looking at it from a users perspective, on a large setup with multiple
zones/views (not mine) one would hardly want to setup a separate policy
for every zone/view.

For now, everything is looking fine again. But if it fails again, I will
take another close look and hopefully something will turn up, that
points me in the right direction.

Should it be the views, is there a specific logging category I should
increase verbosity on?

[1]
https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/latest/dnssec-guide.html?highlight=delv#verification

-- Sandro