Dynamic A records similar to nip.io or xip

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon May 23 16:24:04 UTC 2022

On 5/23/22 4:30 AM, Nux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know whether it's possible to generate with Bind these kind
> of A records automatically on the authoritative side, similar to
> services like xip.io or nip.io? Eg:
> 127.0.0.1.nip.io -> 127.0.0.1
> name.127.0.0.1.nip.io -> 127.0.0.1
> and so on.

Does the $GENERATE directive in BIND zone files do what you need?

I have to look up the syntax and play with things every time I use the
$GENERATE directive, but it has always done what I needed for things
like this.

It's probably not what you want, but I'd expect that such generation
could be done manually / programmatically outside of BIND and entered
into a zone file as static data.  E.g. a for loop with counting
redirecting into a file.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die