Request to use "Canonical/Mirror"

Felicia P felicia at picorealm.net
Fri May 13 23:10:36 UTC 2022

Hello, I see that ISC updated terminology for BIND9 to use
primary/secondary in addition to the original master/slave which many
projects have been deprecating.

In the context of BIND9, it seems that 'primary/secondary' is less clear
than master/slave.

My understanding is that it is possible to have a standalone BIND server
that is running as a 'master' yet acting as a 'secondary' for a
particular domain.  In this context, secondary doesn't necessarily refer
to the 'slave' status of the server, but that it is sort of like a
backup server in the event that the primary is unavailable.

Given this, it seems like instead of 'primary/secondary', a better
choice of terms would be 'canonical/mirror' which unambiguously conveys
the roles of respective servers and does not overlap with other contexts
or meanings of primary/secondary.