zone forwarding

ONRUBIA AVILES Carlos (CCS/MST) carlos.onrubia.aviles at proximus.com
Mon Jan 17 10:46:20 UTC 2022

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me with the following problem:

My name server is authoritative with the following domain "toto.be":
zone "toto.be." {
        type master;
        file "/etc/masterdns.db";

But I would like that a subdomain "titi.toto.be" is not searched in my masterdns.db file but via the normal process via internet.

I have tried to 2 solutions but it do not work:

  1.  Adding a forward for this subdomain:

zone "titi.toto.be." {
type forward;
forwarders {1.2.3.4; 5.6.7.8;};     (ip's from dsn cache servers)
forward only;
};

  *   Seems not to work.  Not possible to add a subdomain forwarding?

  1.  Using directly the cache servers as NS:

Cache.proximus.be.      IN    A     1.2.3.4
Cache.proximus.be.      IN    A     5.6.7.8
Titi.toto.be.                     IN    NS     cache.proximus.be.

  *   Not always working as if "titi.toto.be" is not at this moment in the cache, the cache will answer SERVFAIL and not do the recursion. (I guess the query via this method is done with flag "Recursion Desired" set to false)

So my question is: Is it possible to configure what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Carlos,

Carlos Onrubia Aviles
Solution Engineer | WIFI @ INTERNET TECHNOLOGIES