what is wrong with DNS name 'covid19booster.healthservice.ie' ? : Google : what is Google's secret DNS service ?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Jan 8 15:55:24 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 03:34:37PM +0000,
 Jason Vas Dias <jason.vas.dias at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 146 lines which said:

>    "Book An Appointment": https://covid19booster.healthservice.ie/
>
>    to make an appointment, Firefox and Chrome both return
>    "Server Not Found" errors .

This domain name seems OK for me but I notice that a fair number of
RIPE Atlas probes in Ireland return a fake NXDOMAIN for this name:

% blaeu-resolve --type A --requested 100 --country IE
covid19booster.healthservice.ie
[ERROR: SERVFAIL] : 1 occurrences
[52.214.178.78 52.50.21.250] : 18 occurrences
[ERROR: NXDOMAIN] : 5 occurrences
Test #34762484 done at 2022-01-08T15:48:27Z

So it seems it is blacklisted in some resolvers.

>   Visiting internic.net's whois server shows no records for
>   covid19booster.healthservice.ie,

Why going to this US site and not to the site of the Irish registry?

>   Whois Lookup 'covid19booster.healthservice.ie':
>   "
>     No registry RDAP server was identified for this domain. Attempting lookup using WHOIS service.

Indeed, .ie has no RDAP server.

>   So it appears that human rights and Covid protection in Ireland are
>   only granted to users of Google's DNS servers.

This is clearly a gross exaggeration (see my test with RIPE Atlas
probes).

>    I thought the DNS was meant to be global, and publically
>    available ?

In Europe, censorship of domain names through lying resolvers is quite
common.

>    What secret sauce do Google DNS servers have that is not
>    available to servers run by other operators ?

Nothing (I can resolve the name from my own resolver in France).

>    Who should I sue about this ?
>    Either :
>     A) My ISP, for not giving me access to the whole
>        internet & DNS system, for which I pay them
>        €50 per month ;

This is obviously the first place to ask.

>     B) HSE, for discriminating against those who
>        do not use Google DNS services, denying them
>        access to Covid vaccination appointments ;

This is false (and close to libel).

>     C) Google, for destroying the 'global, publically available'
>        nature of the DNS and Internet, and for hiding essential
>        health information from non-Google users ?
>        I guess they'd prefer non-Google users to just die off soon.

Same remark.

>   If anyone could please suggest a way of resolving names like
>   'covid19booster.healthservice.ie' without using Google's DNS
>   servers, please let me know, I'd be much obliged.

Use your own resolver.