Windows 9.16.25 fails to start (1067 Terminated unexpectedly)

Jakob Bohm jb-bindusers at wisemo.com
Thu Feb 17 17:30:59 UTC 2022

I know this, and I am quite familiar with low level debugging techniques
on Windows, though my favorite tool for the job was ruined by
unfortunate business decisions to bundle it with irrelevant software
that would be needed only in a completely different license count, if at
all.

I could probably set up a debugging scenario with a private compilation
(to get debug symbols) and an artificial installation of more recent
toolchain to work with the official ISC build instructions, though I
strongly suspect a clean process exit with a return code of 0
(Depending, how good Windows is at capturing the return code of the
exited product).  But I was hoping there was a way to find out directly,
such as an option to make the entire startup sequence non-parallel and
verbose, thus revealing the exact point of failure.

On 2022-02-17 17:15, Danny Mayer wrote:
> I can short-cut that a little! :) A 1067 error is always the Windows
> named service failing to start. The reasons behind it are much harder to
> figure out. I've seen these over the years but I don't know off the top
> of my head why.
>
> Danny
>
> On 2/17/22 9:26 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> Log isn’t going to help here if named is crashing. Getting a backtrace
>> or anything that closely resembles one would help. Running debug build
>> under MSVS would help. Or doing git bisect and pinpoint the breakage
>> to a commit or at least Merge commit would help.
>>
>> This is part of the problem - debugging on Windows is extremely
>> painful and requires expertise with extremely high learning curve.
>>
>> --
>> Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)
>>
>> My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do
>> not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.
>>
>>> On 17. 2. 2022, at 15:08, Jakob Bohm via bind-users
>>> <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

Enjoy

Jakob