Is there a community product maintaining Windows support?

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Thu Feb 17 16:40:06 UTC 2022

Jakob,

> On 17. 2. 2022, at 17:31, Jakob Bohm via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
>
> This is truly tragic, and quite counterproductive action by ISC.

quite the contrary, this is very productive action by ISC as it allows the development team
to focus on the things that really matter. The time spent on Windows build doesn’t come
free, and after several calls nobody stepped up neither with offer to do the work or pay
for the work.

Open source and free software doesn’t mean that the open source maintainers have to work
for free, only that you can use the results for without paying royalties. This is a huge difference.

ISC would not drop the Windows support if it would mean we could make BIND 9 better.
But it’s the exact opposite - we can make BIND 9 better for most people because we have
dropped the Windows support and don’t have to worry about the compatibility layers and
weird quirks of the Windows SDK.

Also we are not actively rejecting the idea of having Windows port - and I think I pretty
much explained the conditions the ISC would accept the Windows port in the previous
emails.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)
ondrej at isc.org

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.