address/prefix length mismatch

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:27:59 UTC 2022

Hi Elias.
I can't say why this might have worked with 9.11 (if it did - I'd be
surprised). But you should not/cannot define ACLs like this:
10.60.0.1/23;
/23 means consider only the first 23 bits of the available 32 bits of an
IPv4 address and ignore the rest (in this context. Please don't someone
else shoot me down for other uses of netmasks).

Since the human-readable version of an IPv4 address (in bits) is 8.8.8.8
(no, not THAT 8.8.8.8) a /23 mask means care about the first three octets
(24 bits), except the last bit of the third octet (back to 23 bits), and
don't care about the fourth octet at all.

So in this case the third octet *must* be an even number (zero is even in
this context) and the fourth octet should be zero. Like this:
10.60.0.0/23;

10.60.2.0/23; would also be acceptable.
10.60.17.0/23; would not be acceptable because the third octet is odd, so
its low order bit is 1.

I hope that helps.
Greg