DNSSEC adoption

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Wed Aug 3 13:27:07 UTC 2022

I think the best way to soften the effect, and make DNSSEC much less
brittle, without losing any of the security, is to reduce the TTL of the DS
record in the parent zone (usually TLD's) drastically - from 2 days to like
30 minutes.  That allows quick recovery from a failure.  I realize that
will cause an increase in DNS traffic, and I don't know how much of an
increase, but the 24-48 hour TTL of the DS record is the real down-side of
DNSSEC, and why it is taking me so long to try to develop a bullet-proof
process before signing my zones.

--
Bob Harold
University of Michigan