Stopping ddos

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 2 22:29:18 UTC 2022

On 8/2/22 17:30, Nathan Ollerenshaw via bind-users wrote:
> On 8/2/22 1:02 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Recently I have been having problems with my server not responding to
>> my requests.  I thought it was all sorts of issues, but I finally
>> looked at the logs and:
>>
> You're being used as an unwilling participant in a DNS amplification
> attack.
>
> Reconfigure your server to not be a public recursive DNS server. Only
> respond to requests for your zones.
>
> If you are also providing caching DNS for clients, use views to only
> allow those clients to use the server for recursive lookups.

My clients use my internal view.  My external view has:

     match-clients        { any; };
     match-destinations    { any; };
     allow-query        { any; };
     allow-query-cache    { localhost; };
     recursion no;

I am way behind the times, as I really have not made any significant
changes to my config for a couple years.  Things have been stable.

And I am running CentOS7-arm which only has 9.11.4...

BTW, I am in the market for a 'affordable' DNS box to run here and get
out of the business of maintaining my own software.  I am approaching
72, and not something I want to do anymore.  And I have not see a
service provider that would let me really config my own zone files...