High memory consumption in bind 9.18.2

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Mon Aug 1 15:20:36 UTC 2022

--
Best regards
Sten Carlsen

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat lteter be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl
raed it wotihut porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the
hmuan mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,
but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh?

> On 1 Aug 2022, at 17.08, Victoria Risk <vicky at isc.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> I think Ondrej is referring to this post from a prior month: https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2022-June/106350.html <https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2022-June/106350.html>
>
> ….
> For tips on how to measure memory usage you might want to look at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/131303/how-can-i-measure-the-actual-memory-usage-of-an-application-or-process <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/131303/how-can-i-measure-the-actual-memory-usage-of-an-application-or-process> …..
>
> Also note the comment about ignoring ’total’ memory.
>
> Vicky
>
>> On Aug 1, 2022, at 10:32 AM, Ondřej Surý <ondrej at isc.org <mailto:ondrej at isc.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1. 8. 2022, at 16:14, Doug Whitfield <dwhitfield at perforce.com <mailto:dwhitfield at perforce.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> as monitored from "top" RES value
>>
>> Please read the whole thread on measuring the real consumed memory.
>>
>> The '“top” RES value' has little or no value at all.

Looking at this discussion from the outside, it seems to me that the point of contention here is the question: What is the correct way to measure memory consumption?

From reading the mails, it seems that one side wants to compare what Bind reports internally and which may not count everything the OS has allocated for that process and the other side just wants to know how much memory is not available for other tasks when this is running.

May I suggest that the discussion first agrees what to measure and then agrees on a method for measuring that number.