dnssec-policy makes BIND touch all key files every hour

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at isc.org
Tue Apr 26 08:17:41 UTC 2022

Hi,

To be precise, BIND updates the key files each keymgr run. But If the
keymgr waits for an event (rather than a duration), it will retry every
refresh key interval, which defaults to an hour.

You can check the logs for "next key event" to see when the keymgr is
scheduled next.

But yes, each time the keymgr runs for a zone, the key files are written
out for that zone. You are right that this is unnecessary. I have
created a GitLab issue for this to fix it.

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/3302

Best regards,

Matthijs