Supporting LOC RR's

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Tue Apr 12 12:36:02 UTC 2022

On 12-Apr-22 01:46, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Does anyone use LOC RR's?  And if so, how?
>
> I've had some Apple devices get seriously confused by their location services and I'm trying to provide strong hints.
>
> It would also be nice to prime WiFi 6 Certified WAPs with their locations based on LOC RR's since we happen to have convenient infrastructure to do exactly that.
>
> Thanks.

LOC RR's are not currently very popular.  But I have some where they
provide different locations from geolocation services based on IP
address.  Google, for one, reports the city from the LOC record in
preference to data associated with the IP address.  I haven't looked
recently, but last time I looked, the geolocation services' use of LOC
was spotty.  Some used LOC, other's didn't. For them, it's pretty cheap
to mine WHOIS and address block assignments; doing a DNS lookup for each
address (and walking up the tree on a miss) gets expensive fairly fast.

There are some concerns with overly precise LOC records - great if you
want a shopper to to show up at your store, perhaps less so if you run a
shelter or secure facility.  I've been known to intentionally misplace
LOC records so that they're good enough for routing, census, and other
coarse applications, but not accurate enough for navigation.

With respect to part 2: You might also consider that GPS receivers are
cheap (every cellphone has one) and retail USB receivers are easily
found at less than $20.  This may be a better choice than LOC records.
GPS tells you where you are; LOC tells everyone else...

HTH

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.