Forward zone does not work when allow recursive is restrictive

Frédéric Lochon lochon at crazyfamily.fr
Wed Feb 10 11:22:24 UTC 2021

This is very similar to what I wanted to do some time ago, but concluded
this is not possible with bind.

But, I've modified bind in order to be able to do that anyway.
The trick was to use a "static-stub" zone with a small modification in
bind code.

In my bind-9.16.6, I modified file query.c to look like that:

lib/ns/query.c

/*
          * Non recursive query to a static-stub zone is prohibited; its
          * zone content is not public data, but a part of local
configuration
          * and should not be disclosed.
          */
         /*if (dns_zone_gettype(zone) == dns_zone_staticstub &&
             !RECURSIONOK(client)) {
                 return (DNS_R_REFUSED);
         }*/
         if (dns_zone_gettype(zone) == dns_zone_staticstub)
                 client->query.attributes |= NS_QUERYATTR_RECURSIONOK;

One "if" was commented to remove the check on recursion.
One "if" was added to "force" recursion.

With this modification, I turned bind to some kind of proxy for a sub-zone.
I don't really know if there are some nasty side effects, but in my case
this is not a real problem because I don't normally use static-stub
zones excepted for one very specific usage.

Maybe some bind expert would like to comment on this.

Frédéric Lochon.