Spurious failures in a dynamically updated to a sub /24 reverse DNS domain P.S.

Mirsad Goran Todorovac mirsad.todorovac at alu.unizg.hr
Thu Dec 30 09:34:01 UTC 2021

Dear Tony,

Yes, the CARNet network guys have replied with an email acknowledging
the have corrected the bug in configuration ;-)

They thanked for the pointer to the actual bug.

I just tested the settings from three available servers (though all in
.hr domain), and it works now like it never worked before! :-) So, this
is finally the culprit ... If it either completely worked or completely
didn't, we'd probably think of it before ...

My conclusion now is that the next step would be to make them (reverse
PTRs) visible globally. So far, I am only seen from two DNS servers in
France and one in Brazil:

So, far, only my main building's server is seen in reverse PTR maps
globally:

Thanks, again. You have helped a great deal!
This will certainly improve the reliability of our service to the next
step (global visibility, so anyone could "see" us in logs with our
hostnames and report a problem globally.

Kind regards,
Mirsad

On 12/30/2021 12:43 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
> Mirsad Goran Todorovac<mirsad.todorovac at alu.unizg.hr>  wrote:
>
>> Please excuse me, as I am a bit confused ...
>>
>> I have tried to verify your findings, but I've found something awkward:
> Something has changed, because earlier I got:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> soa 192/27.186.198.193.in-addr.arpa @193.0.9.6
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 25229
> ;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
> ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
>
> and now instead I get a referral:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> soa 192/27.186.198.193.in-addr.arpa @193.0.9.6
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1
> ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
>
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;192/27.186.198.193.in-addr.arpa. IN	SOA
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> 186.198.193.in-addr.arpa. 14400	IN	NS	dns1.carnet.hr.
> 186.198.193.in-addr.arpa. 14400	IN	NS	dns2.carnet.hr.
>
> ;; Query time: 22 msec
> ;; SERVER: 193.0.9.6#53(193.0.9.6)
> ;; WHEN: Wed Dec 29 23:35:20 GMT 2021
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 107
>
> And the SOA serial number for 198.193.in-addr.arpa has bumped to
> 2021122901.
>
> The actual delegation that was missing was for 186.198.193.in-addr.arpa,
> not the delegation for your zone 192/27.186.198.193.in-addr.arpa
>
> This error was partially hidden because of the shared carnet.hr
> nameservers.
>
> Tony.

Mirsad Goran Todorovac
CARNet sistem inženjer
Grafički fakultet | Akademija likovnih umjetnosti
Sveučilište u Zagrebu
--
CARNet system engineer
Faculty of Graphic Arts | Academy of Fine Arts