Compile errors for Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL7.x and RHEL 6.X

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Mar 24 20:04:19 UTC 2020

On 24/03/2020 20:44, Bhangui, Sandeep - BLS CTR via bind-users wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

[snip]

> As far as I can tell has the libuv library package....is installed on this RHEL 7.X machine.
>
> sh-4.2# rpm -qa | grep -i libuv
>
> libuv-1.34.0-1.el7.x86_64

This package contains just the runtime library. However, in order to
compile code that links against libuv, you need the "libuv-devel"
package. Besides "libuv-devel", you also need some other packages to
build and run BIND properly.

However, seeing as you're stumbling on even this basic step, I'd advise
you not to compile BIND. You're better off using packages made by other
experienced people. The packages also contain additional files, such as
systemd unit files, that make it easy to run BIND. For CentOS, have a
look at:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/

Regards,
Anand