Cannot build on macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Apr 28 19:15:57 UTC 2020

In my experience getting rpaths to work properly is a massive pain because
most autoconf/libtool build systems don't automatically set the rpath as
required for the --with-libwhatever=PATH options to work properly, and
they often prevent attempts to set rpath linker flags. In BIND there has
been a fair amount of churn in this area so you should expect to need to
re-do any workarounds for each major version.

The main dependency that I build myself is OpenSSL (for Ed25519 support)
and my current build script sets the following environment variables
before running `./configure`.

export OPENSSL_CFLAGS="-I$OpenSSL/include"
export OPENSSL_LIBS="-L$OpenSSL/lib -Wl,-R,$OpenSSL/lib -lcrypto "

There seem to be similar LIBUV_ variables, so you might find they do the
trick for you. Alternatively, I install dnstap in the same $PREFIX as
BIND, and it's much less troublesome than OpenSSL, so you might find
that's also true for libuv.

Another option (to avoid fighting the build scripts) might be to use the
`chrpath` utility after building, but that appears to be specific to ELF.
There's a macho_edit which can alter rpaths, but building that in order to
build BIND might be too many yaks to shave...

(Building autoconfiscated code to link to libraries installed in /opt or
~/lib or wherever has been utterly horrible since the 1990s and libtool
has made it much slower and harder to debug, so I don't expect it will
ever work well.)

Tony.
Plymouth: Northwest 3 to 5 backing south or southwest 5 to 7, perhaps gale 8
later. Slight or moderate, becoming rough later. Rain or showers. Good,
occasionally poor.