Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Wed Apr 15 08:15:09 UTC 2020

Klaus,

the default and preferred init system on both Debian and Ubuntu is systemd,
and the unit has proper Alias, so it is recognized also under "bind9" name.

The sysv-rc script doesn’t have the capability of aliases, so unfortunately, there’s
a downfall from the renaming, but it would not make sense to have a different name
for different init systems. If you are using sysvinit, the choice and the suffering that
comes from that choice is all yours.

The renaming was done as it was a logical choice, the service is starting a daemon,
and not a package, and daemon name is `named`. Also it is the name used by RPM
based systems and Arch Linux and Gentoo, so it was also made to make BIND 9 packages
in Debian/Ubuntu more unified with rest of the Linux world.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
ondrej at isc.org