isc-bind-esv Repository - "yum update" doing undesirable things!

Michał Kępień michal at isc.org
Fri May 10 08:30:26 UTC 2019

> If the old XPG4 and POSIX rules are to be at least paid some attention
> then the config data should be under /etc/opt/isc/named and the software
> binaries and libs stay in /opt/isc/named with logs going to the correct
> /var/opt/isc/named.

This is a good point, thanks for raising it.  Software Collections allow
this kind of approach, we just initially rejected it as it makes other
things more complicated and one of our primary goals for these packages
is simplicity.  We will run some further experiments to see whether this
route is feasible.  One downside of moving to this approach is that it
would be another breaking change, though obviously if this would result
in a cleaner long-term solution, then now is the time to bite the
bullet.

I will report back to announce what we are going to do.  Thanks again
for the feedback.

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień