root hints

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed May 2 21:19:46 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 5:02 PM Greg Rivers <gcr+bind-users at tharned.org>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 16:48:00 Rick Dicaire wrote:
> > ... what is the official/best practise/recommended way to update
> root.hints?
> >
> https://www.iana.org/domains/root/files
>
> But you don't really need it unless you're running an internal root; as
> stated at that link, "For many pieces of software, this list comes built
> into the software.". As I recall, this is true for BIND.

Yup, this is built into BIND and automagically managed.

Unless you have a *really* good reason to monkey with it, ‘tis best left
alone these days...

> --
> Greg Rivers

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf