response-rate-limiting - "window" explained?

Tom tomtux007 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:21:57 UTC 2018

I've tested several "window"-values (5-3600) with fast-querying the
nameserver from one single client with always the same query. As
explained by Tony the "window" means the time, which the client must
wait, after he stops fast-querying the nameserver while he was
successfully dropped.

In my tests, I never had to wait for about more than about 5s.
I've configured rate-limits like this:
        rate-limit {
                 slip 0;
                 window 5;
                 log-only no; };

Could someone explain the problem here? Why do I never have to wait
longer than about 5s until I'm able to query the nameserver from the
unique client with the same query again?

Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Tom