BIND and ulimit's on Linux

Browne, Stuart Stuart.Browne at team.neustar
Tue Sep 5 23:29:02 UTC 2017

Hi,

Just a quick question.

I've recently run in to another daemon (not associated with BIND) that inherited its 'nofile' ulimit before dropping privileges and was wanting to confirm that BIND doesn't work this way.

On some of our servers (zone distribution points) where lots of AXFR's (over LAN) come in, we occasionally see them not respond to queries for brief times. The servers are reporting a 'file-nr' value close (but not exceeding) root's nofile ulimit, and was wondering if this could be related.

Stuart