DNS traffic accounting

Abi Askushi rightkicktech at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 15:24:07 UTC 2017

Hi Matus,

You have a point and seems that i will do this at the end. I was just
wondering if there is another approach from the technical standpoint.
Currently I am not accounting DNS at all. It is provided for free. I am
accounting all other traffic though (http, etc). Since every byte is
important on my setup due to high satellite charges I need to include dns
also.  My only concern is that when providing daily traffic reports on the
wan side, which already include dns traffic of the server, the dns reported
traffic will not tally with the total internal traffic when analyzed and
accounted per client, which will include cache that does not consume wan
traffic. But I agree, since dns is the minority of traffic, it seems not
worth while tackling this as the descrepancy is not expected to be
significant.

On 23.07.17 16:53, Abi Askushi wrote:

> Because i would like to avoid counting traffic for cached responses. But
> this is an option also if all other are not easy.

will you avoid billing user's traffic just because it was cached?  it's you
who cached it, not the user, you should benefit from that, not them.
(only by reducing costs and resulting lower prices)

this way your clients can pay less money for more traffic just because it
was in the cache already...
and you even spend your time and money to bill them less.

not mentioning that DNS is rarely relevant when counting network traffic.

Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".