designing the DNS from the scratch

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jul 10 13:16:57 UTC 2017

>> But you do know the approximate speed of light in a vacuum?

there's always dark in my vacuum, so the speed of light doesn't apply there.

On 10.07.17 09:02, wbrown at e1b.org wrote:
>More importantly, what is the speed of light in a fiberoptic connection?
>Speed of electrons in copper wire?

speed of electrical field, which is the same as speed of light.
electrons are much slower.

however, the longest distances on earth are about 20000km, which requires
at least 67ms for signal to get there and 133ms to get back.
in reality there's some small delay on each network device in the path, so
the 3ms can only be achieved on short distances.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.