different result between normal query and zone transfer

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 13:05:16 UTC 2017

On 6 July 2017 at 12:29, MAYER Hans <Hans.Mayer at iiasa.ac.at> wrote:
> For me this looks like a bug. Why is the answer for a normal query different than the answer from a zone transfer ?
> Or do I miss a special flag for this setup ?
> I am using BIND 9.11.1 <id:e3dc2e7> but I had the same issue with older versions too.

A zone transfer is transferring the contents of the zone, the zone in
question is 'iiasa.ac.at', but you've also created a subzone
'test44.iiasa.ac.at' which is a completely separate point of
administration that just happens to hide records inside of the parent
zone. So on your slaves you will also need to slave the subzone if you
want it to override the records there.

A query will traverse the tree until it finds the lowest point of
delegation with which to obtain a response from.