Enforce EDNS

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Tue Feb 7 21:42:32 UTC 2017

On 2/7/17 3:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

>>> Break them.  That's the only way it will eventually get fixed
>>
>> if things would be that easy....
>>
>> the admins of the broken servers ar the very last which are affected,
>> admins with a recent named have to bite the bullet of user terror and
>> users typically don#t give a damn when it worked yesterday
>>
>> the admins of the broken server don't give a damn about as long they can
>> point their fingers and say "look, the rest of the world has no lookup
>> errors"
>>
>> if it would be that easy the problem of spam would not exist for many
>> years while in reality you waste most of our time to write exceptions
>> here and there, disable rules or score them lower because you are not in
>> the position to educate every admin of sending servers out there
>
> You go over the admins head.  You go to the board of directors.
> You go the the minister responsible (yes, I have had to do that
> along with a copy to the shadow minister and the company that the
> DNS was outsourced to for government domains).  Good old snail mail.

I wish I lived and worked in an ivory tower.

Reindl is right.

If you are in (some) academia, or running this server at your house, you
can get away with "he didn't follow the rules, so I'm not talking to
him".  You just plain can't get away with that in the commercial world.

Remember those Korean IPTV servers that were authoritative but didn't
respond with the AA bit?  The thing that kicked back and caused a very
speedy reversal in the enforcement of that rule is called business pressure.

Yes, we know the rules, yes, we'd love if the rules were strictly
enforced (assuming we don't take the hit when someone else screws up),
but the business world doesn't allow us to enforce the rules, we have to
work as best we can in the world that we are provided.

The idea that "BIND leads the way, allowing no rule breaking, business
needs be damned" will only lead to either a fork of "friendlierBIND",
vendors that include BIND under the covers turning off the strict
enforcement by forking their own BIND versions (do you think this isn't
being done already?), or migration off of BIND completely (do you think
that this isn't being considered already?).

Maybe a "strict-compliance yes;" option?  Those that are willing to take
the hit set it to yes, everyone that needs to ensure business continuity
set it to no?  (and for gods sake, make it default to no)

As with the "let's randomly add a string into the middle of the log
message for everyone", this "let's just break it because the RFCs say
so" isn't going to go over well with lots of people.

<shut up, Alan... shut up>