Multiple SERVFAIL/REFUSED unexpected RCODE

Mik J mikydevel at yahoo.fr
Thu May 5 08:38:15 UTC 2016

Thank you guys for your answers.

    Le Mardi 3 mai 2016 16h09, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> a écrit :

 In article <mailman.701.1462281968.73610.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Mik J <mikydevel at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello Mark,
> Thank you for your answer. I'm not sure I've understood everything but I'll
> read it numerous times if necessary.I have ACLs so I'm not surprised to see
> these REFUSED, I also understand the SERVFAIL meaning.

Your ACL is not relevant. The REFUSED response is coming from the server
the reverse zone is delegated to.

> I'm just trying to figure out where the problem comes from.You seem to point
> out a device which should be on my network and who queries a PTR (something
> like a mail server which want to check the domain of the user who sent the
> email)

The problem comes from bad reverse DNS delegations of remote addresses.
Unfortunately, this has always been very common.

> What I didn't understand is"You could use whois to try to contact the
> administrators of these zones to correct the servers or remove the
> delegations."You mean this one "x.204.99.116.in-addr.arpa" which appeared in
> my logs ?
> Regards

whois -h whois.apnic.net 116.99.204.0

role:          VIETEL IPADMIN GROUP
address:        1 Tran Huu Duc, My Dinh, Tu Liem, Hanoi
country:        VN
phone:          +84-9-83000456
fax-no:        +84-4-38460486
e-mail:        tiennd at viettel.com.vn
remarks:        send spam and abuse report to tiennd at viettel.com.vn

whois 88.165.16.0

role:          Administrative Contact for ProXad
address:        Free SAS / ProXad
address:        8, rue de la Ville L'Eveque
address:        75008 Paris
phone:          +33 1 73 50 20 00
fax-no:        +33 1 73 92 25 69
remarks:        trouble:      Information: http://www.proxad.net/
remarks:        trouble:      Spam/Abuse requests:
mailto:abuse at proxad.net
admin-c:        APfP1-RIPE
tech-c:        TPfP1-RIPE
nic-hdl:        ACP23-RIPE